Blogs commenting Fr. Jessie’s post
Independent think-tank IBON Foundation reacted to Senator Mar Roxas’s statement that he would advocate for the ratification of the Japan-Philippines Economic Partnership Agreement (JPEPA).
Sen. Roxas said yesterday although there was not much gain inherent in the free-trade pact, “the loss is definitely calculable”. But IBON research head Sonny Africa said that the loss to the local economy of JPEPA goes beyond what can immediately be computed in monetary terms to affect the country’s future economic development.
Even as IBON estimates annual revenue losses at P10.6 billion because of tariff removals under JPEPA, Africa said that the bigger loss from the free trade pact is ultimately its effect on the country’s economic sovereignty and its right to impose policies to protect its industries and promote its long-term economic development.
For example, the JPEPA has investment provisions that require the Philippine government to place Japanese investors on equal footing with their local counterparts while preventing the country from imposing policies to favor Filipino entrepreneurs and enterprises. It also prohibits the government from imposing such development measures as requiring Japanese investors to hire a given level of Filipino nationals, transfer technologies or production processes to local companies, or achieve a certain level of local content in products it manufactures or subcontracts in the Philippines .
The effect of these provisions can not be readily computed monetarily, but the loss to the domestic economy is very real and concrete, Africa said, in terms of lost livelihoods and local firms closed. Just as big a loss will be the continued and chronic backwardness of the Philippines ‘ agricultural and industrial sectors, which would deny tens of millions of Filipinos decent work and force them to risk their lives abroad as overseas workers. “These losses are inherent in the JPEPA,” he said.
Africa said that senators considering ratification of the controversial pact should ultimately look not just at the immediate losses the JPEPA will bring but also its future legacy: the destruction of the people’s welfare and any hope of the country’s future development
MANILA, Philippines — A former military spy who revealed the videotaped conversation between President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and a former election commissioner during the May 2004 election faces perjury if he will testify before the Senate, the President’s legal adviser warned Thursday.
“This is political. This is not in aid of legislation. This is in aid of presidential ambition,” Sergio Apostol told local radio, accusing of Senator Panfilo Lacson of using former Technical Sergeant Vidal Doble of the Intelligence Service of the Armed Forces of the Philippines to launch another presidential election bid in 2010.
Now a senator, Lacson has called for a new public inquiry after finding what he said was fresh evidence implicating her in corrupting the election result.
Lacson played a videotape in the Senate of Doble, who said he had recorded Arroyo asking an election commission official to make sure she won the election by one million votes.
Doble said he had wiretapped a number of officials, including Virgilio Garcillano, a senior official on the election commission. But he later recanted, amid threats to him and his family.
Now in the new videotape shown in the Senate this week, Doble said he had been forced to recant because his family had been kidnapped and threatened with harm at the time.
Lawmakers tried to impeach Arroyo when the tape emerged in 2005.
Ten members of her Cabinet resigned when the opposition leaked the tapes to the press, and Arroyo — although she insisted she had done nothing wrong — publicly apologized for a “lapse in judgement.”
Garcillano was never named as the election official on the tape. But the woman said to be Arroyo was heard greeting him: “Hello Garci.”
A new round of hearings is expected to start next week, said Senate President Manuel Villar.
MANILA, Philippines — Looking well-rested, Lintang Bedol began to enjoy a new, albeit temporary, lease on liberty Wednesday afternoon after posting bail of P15,000 even as he told the Philippine Daily Inquirer he was willing to talk about how cheating is done in elections.
The Commission on Elections en banc approved the Maguindanao election supervisor’s petition to post bail, allowing him to defer serving a sentence of six months at the Manila City Jail and paying a P1,000 fine for the crime of indirect contempt — punishment that lawmakers had earlier assailed as “insufficient and insulting.”
Bedol told the Inquirer that if the Comelec would charge him with electoral fraud, he could shed light on the intricacies of cheating.
“It’s easy to talk about how cheating is done if you are not guilty of it,” he said in Filipino.
For example, he said, he could explain how votes were changed on official documents.
He said he wanted to talk about the ways of cheating so as to help the Comelec institute electoral reform.
In a phone interview Wednesday morning, a nonchalant Bedol said he agreed with angry lawmakers that the Comelec should have charged him with electoral fraud, and not indirect contempt.
“I can set up my defenses,” he declared.
But he was quick to say that he had neither cheated nor stolen from the government, and that he was not guilty of contempt of the poll body, where he had spent the last 11 years working as election supervisor in various provinces in Mindanao.
The latest of his assignments was Maguindanao, where a purported 12-0 sweep by the administration’s Team Unity in the midterm elections triggered allegations of widespread fraud in the province. The allegations were compounded by teachers’ claims that they were forced to fill out ballots under the gun.
Bedol got in deeper trouble when he claimed that the first copy of the Maguindanao certificates of canvass was stolen from his office weeks after the May 14 elections.
‘He knows many things’
Election lawyer Sixto Brillantes claimed Bedol knew “many things” and could link other Comelec officials to poll irregularities.
Brillantes said there was nothing wrong with Bedol’s being allowed to post bail because it was allowed by law.
But he said the P15,000 bail was a measly amount.
He added that the six-month jail term and P1,000 fine constituted the maximum penalty that the court could impose on anyone found guilty of indirect contempt.
“I was surprised that the Comelec gave him the maximum penalty because I thought he would only be reprimanded. I had said before that the Comelec cannot afford to impose a harsh punishment on Bedol because this guy can point to them. He knows so many things,” Brillantes said in a phone interview.
Bedol, 54, said he intended to fly back to Maguindanao but would stay in Manila for at least two more days.
No celebration is planned for his release, he said, but added that he would be meeting with friends in the Comelec: “I need to consult with them.”
Bedol spent Tuesday night on the couch at the air-conditioned office of the commission’s legal department.
He managed to take a shower Wednesday, and lunched on grilled chicken.
At 5 p.m., unaccompanied by his lawyer, he walked out of the legal department wearing a blue-and-white striped shirt and a wry smile.
The Comelec set no conditions for Bedol’s temporary liberty, except for an order that he heed whatever summons it may issue.
He cannot go overseas without Comelec permission, said Commissioner Rene Sarmiento.
He has five days to file a motion for reconsideration.
Walking free and carrying a small green bag, Bedol kept the wry smile on his face as he spoke with reporters on his way to the Comelec elevators.
He said a friend had provided a vehicle to collect him, but he refused to say where he was headed.
He also said he would be reporting for work, probably at the Comelec regional office headed by Rey Sumalipao. (He is on “floating status,” having been temporarily suspended by the commission as Maguindanao election supervisor.)
Crying for blood
Speaking at a press conference, Comelec Chair Benjamin Abalos Sr. decried the criticisms leveled by lawmakers at the Comelec, but said he forgave them.
“Everybody [is crying for] blood now,” he said.
Commissioner Nicodemo Ferrer Jr. said he was “quite surprised” that lawmakers had criticized the commission for giving Bedol a mere slap on the wrist.
A former Sandiganbayan justice, Ferrer said “those people in Congress” were supposed to know the law because it was they who had crafted its provisions.
Ferrer heads Task Force Maguindanao, which was formed by the Comelec to look into the alleged widespread fraud that took place in the province.
He reiterated that the task force would pursue the inquiry and focus on the commission’s own people, including Bedol, and said the Comelec was “seriously considering” filing charges of libel and electoral sabotage against “two known media personalities.”
Libel vs 2 media personalities
He did not name them, but said they were of “high ranking in the media” who were “manufactur[ing] things against the Comelec” and spreading false news and unfair comments.
“[If our reputation is being destroyed], we will have to defend ourselves,” Ferrer said.
He said filing cases against these “media personalities” was also the Comelec’s way of helping journalists “cleanse your profession.”
But Brillantes said the Comelec should be more concerned with the “integrity of the ballot” than its own.
He said it was good that the Comelec had included in its resolution convicting Bedol an order to the legal department to determine if the latter had also committed election offenses.
He added that the public should be vigilant and make sure that the Comelec did pursue this inquiry.
Electoral sabotage is a nonbailable offense that carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
Threat to press freedom
Commenting on Ferrer’s statements, Jose Torres, chair of the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines, said the planned electoral sabotage case against the unnamed media persons was a case against press freedom.
“It is a threat to press freedom when government agencies start to threaten practicing journalists for being critical of policies. The threat alone is itself not limited to the concerned journalists, but involves press freedom,” Torres told the Inquirer.
He added: “The Comelec should not blame the media for its failure during the elections, as proven by the Bedol and ‘Garci’ controversies. The media are only reporting what happened during the elections.”
Torres also said the public perception of the lack of credibility of the elections was real: “This has been going on for a long time, as evidenced by the cases filed by various political groups.” With a report from Alcuin Papa in Manila
COTABATO CITY — Mayor Muslimin Sema said the burden of proving Maguindanao Election Supervisor Lintang Bedol’s guilt lay on his immediate superiors who had purportedly committed crimes of their own.
“Bedol is innocent. His mistakes, if [any], were nothing compared to the intentional crimes consciously committed by his bosses [who are now accusing him],” Sema told the Philippine Daily Inquirer, parent company of INQUIRER.net.
Citing an example, the mayor, a former rebel commander and secretary general of the Moro National Liberation Front, assailed the decision of the Commission on Elections en banc to lump Cotabato City with Shariff Kabunsuan to produce one congressional district following the latter’s creation as a new province in November 2006 through a regional law.
He said the move was “unconstitutional and stupid” because “as lawyers, [the commissioners] knew that there are two separate and distinct districts by law and through Comelec Resolution No. 7845.”
Asked to name Bedol’s bosses who had supposedly committed a worse crime, Sema said: “The commissioners who signed Comelec Resolution No. 7845 promulgated on March 29, and another Resolution No. 7902 promulgated on May 10.”
He said all six commissioners — Chair Benjamin Abalos Sr., and Rene Sarmiento, Resurreccion Borra, Florentino Tuason Jr., Romeo Brawner and Nicodemo Ferrer Jr. — had signed the documents.
Sema said there was need to overhaul the Comelec and appoint a new set of commissioners with integrity and delicadeza (propriety).
Shariff Kabunsuan was once Maguindanao’s first legislative district, to which Cotabato City belonged
GUILTY. Controversial election supervisor Lintang Bedol is hustled out by security escorts after the Commission on Elections declared him guilty of indirect contempt for defying summonses to hearings on the controversial vote in Maguindanao province. He was sentenced to a six-month jail term and fined P1,000. But opposition politicians say the poll body should continue probing the alleged cheating in the Mindano province. INQUIRER/REM ZAMORA