LUCENA CITY – Two abandoned camps, suspected to have been used by the New People’s Army, were discovered by government forces in the mountainous areas of Mansalay, Oriental Mindoro and General Nakar town in Quezon province.
In a report that reached Camp Nakar here, Major General Fernando Mesa, commander of the Army’s 2nd Infantry Division, said that on August 31, 2007, at 5:15 pm, a combat patrol led by one Lt. Arreola found the deserted rebel camp at Sitio Kulitob, Barangay (village) Balug, Mansalay, Oriental Mindoro.
Report said the camp estimated to accommodate more or less 100 people was abandoned just a few days ago.
The military said the camp maintained its own supply of electricity with the discovery of a spot where a power generator was believed to be previously placed.
Mesa disclosed that three days ago, a concerned Mangyan community leader informed government troopers that they were hearing sounds from a power generator coming from the direction of the campsite during night time.
The military decided to conduct operation and found the abandoned camp.
Another report to Lt. General Rodolfo Obaniana, commander of the military’s Southern Luzon Command, stated that on Saturday morning, government soldiers led by one Lt. Bermundo discovered another abandoned NPA camp located in the remote village of Umiray in General Nakar.
Report said the camp could accommodate about 100 rebels in its 10 huts of different sizes.
The area had six electric posts, 25-meter firing range, and a basketball court, which served as a lecture area.
Prior to the discovery of the rebel camp, soldiers from the 11th Special Forces Company, Special Forces Regiment (Airborne) of the Army’s Special Operations Command (SOCOM) led by one Staff Sergeant Tiauso raided a suspected rebel safehouse owned by a certain Bimboy Cantong at Sitio Campo also in Umiray
The raid resulted in the recovery of an LCD projector with accessories and a DVD player.