Woman nabbed for allegedly beating son to death

By Marlon Ramos
Southern Luzon Bureau
Last updated 04:20pm (Mla time) 08/08/2007

SAN PEDRO, Laguna, Philippines — Police arrested a 28-year-old woman on Wednesday a day after she and her common-law-husband allegedly beat to death their five-year-old son inside their house in the village of Narra here.

 

Superintendent Jolly Dizon, town police chief, identified the suspect as Joanne Nabong who was arrested with the help of concerned residents.

 

The suspect’s live-in partner, a certain Johnny Saludares, was able to escape and is now the subject of a manhunt operation.

 

Dizon said the suspects brought their son, John Darryl Saludares, to the Narra General Hospital early Tuesday after the boy complained of severe headaches and body pains.

 

He said the victim’s parents told the attending physicians that their son had a fever for the past three days.

 

The suspects, however, could not explain why the boy had swollen lips and hematoma all over his body.

At around 11 a.m., the boy died while undergoing treatment for his injuries.

 

Dizon said the victim’s parents suddenly disappeared upon learning that their son died at the hospital.

 

But before Nabong could escape, concerned neighbors of the victim immediately called up the local police station and informed the police that the boy had been physically abused by his parents.

 

“The residents told us that the suspects were beating up their son for still unknown reasons several days before he died. Madalas daw talagang bugbugin nung mag-asawa yung bata (They said the couple often beat the boy),” Dizon told the Philippine Daily Inquirer, parent company of INQUIRER.net.

 

During questioning, the mother denied that she and her live-in partner beat her son to death adding that the child already had a gash on his mouth when she arrived at their house on Monday night.

 

But Dizon said they have witnesses and evidence to prove that the suspects had been battering their son which could have caused his death.

 

He said the results of the autopsy done on victim showed that he had a fractured skull.

 

He said they have already filed a case for parricide at the local prosecutor’s office against Nabong who is now locked up at the town police jail.

 

Dizon said they would seek the help of the local welfare office to take care of the four other children of the suspects.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: