BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occidental — The police has filed attempted murder charges against a deputized agent of the Land Transportation Office for the shooting of a broadcaster earlier this week in Sagay City.
Superintendent William Senoron said the police filed a criminal complaint against Romeo Corbo, 39, at the Sagay City Prosecutor’s Office in connection with the shooting and wounding last Wednesday of Ferdinand Yngson, station manager of RGMA Super Radyo Bacolod.
Corbo, who is also an employee of the Sagay City government, said he shot Yngson in self-defense. But Yngson disputed this, saying Corbo shot him from behind and without any provocation.
The police recovered from Corbo a homemade shotgun with one live ammunition and an empty shell.
Various media organizations in Negros Occidental issued a joint statement condemning the attempt to kill Yngson which they said they believe was work-related.
“The attempts on Yngson’s life is the worst violation of press freedom,” the Negros Press Club, Negros Media Council for Press Freedom, Congress of Active Media Practitioners, NPC Council of Past Presidents, and the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines-Negros Occidental chapter said in joint statement they issued Saturday.
Senior Superintendent Rosendo Franco, provincial police director of Negros Occidental, said the case of Yngson is “good as solved,” after the suspect confessed to committing the crime, although he claimed it was in self-defense.
Yngson, who is now confined at the Riverside Medical Center in Bacolod, said he saw Corbo reload his shotgun after firing at him, hitting him in the left arm, the back, and chest. This prompted his companion to hit Corbo, he added.
Corbo was tested positive for gunpowder burns during a paraffin test at the PNP Crime Laboratory, police said.
Sagay police investigators said the shooting could be related to Yngson’s exposè over the alleged selective method of arresting traffic violators by LTO personnel.