07/20/2007 | 11:35 AM
Saying its prayers were answered, the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) said Friday it was thankful that Italian priest Giancarlo Bossi has been released.
CBCP spokesman Msgr. Pedro Quitorio III said they learned of Bossi’s release before dawn Friday, and had been following media reports on developments since.
“As early as before dawn nalaman namin at natuwa kami. Napakinggan ang aming dasal (Even before dawn we learned of the release and we’re glad that our prayers were answered),” Quitorio said in an interview on dzBB radio.
Quitorio also reiterated that what happened to Bossi will not stop the Church from sending missionaries to areas deemed dangerous.
However, he refused to comment on speculations that Bossi’s kidnappers demanded ransom for his release.
Bossi said his kidnappers introduced themselves as Abu Sayyaf bandits and heard them talk about a P50-million ransom.
Meanwhile, Malacañang appealed to critics not to inject politics into Bossi’s release.
Radio station dzXL quoted a Palace statement saying that people should be thankful instead that the Italian priest was safe.
Bossi was freed four days before President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo was to deliver her State of the Nation Address (SONA).
However, dzBB radio reported that Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita refused to give further comment, saying they have yet to get all the details of the development. – GMANews.TV