DAVAO CITY, Philippines — At least 27 pupils at a public school here were brought to the hospital after eating stale crackers Friday morning.
Jenielito Atillo, spokesperson of the Department of Education (DepEd) here, said the children, all from the Pichon Elementary school in Tibungco district, suffered stomachaches and dizziness.
However, the children were declared “out of harm’s way” after they were treated at the Davao Medical Hospital.
Atillo said a Grade 3 student, whose parents make a living as scavengers at a dumpsite in Calinan district, brought with him two packs of Graham crackers and sold it to other children.
The crackers had an expiration date of June 14, 2007.
“The child thought he could still sell it to his classmates,” Atillo said.
Teacher Judith Eslit said among the students who fell ill were those who bought the crackers at P2 each.
“The[se] children might have shared it with their classmates and friends,” Eslit said.