CAMP VICENTE LIM, Laguna — Police have identified four of the five alleged victims of summary executions who were dumped in separate villages in Tanauan City and Talisay, Batangas on Monday, police said Tuesday.
Senior Superintendent Prudencio Bañas, Batangas police director, also confirmed that they had actually recovered a sixth victim who was still alive when a team of local policemen arrived to check on a report that bodies had been found in Barangay (village) Balele in Tanauan City.
He identified the survivor as Winston Adrelin Torribio, a resident of Pasig City.
Superintendent Francisco Rodriguez, Tanauan police chief, said Torribio was still confined at the intensive care unit of a hospital somewhere in Batangas.
He said the victim had gunshot wounds on his head and right chest.
Rodriguez said they had placed the victim under their tight watch to ensure his safety while recuperating.
He said they have yet to talk to the victim.
“The victim is now in stable condition. He is slowly recovering. We’re certain that he could give light to what really happened to them and identify who wanted them killed,” Rodriguez said in a mobile phone interview.
The other body found near Torribio remained unidentified, Rodriguez said.
Meanwhile, Bañas said the body found from a vacant lot in Barangay Talaga, Tanauan City was that of Joseph Castro, 18, a resident of Barangay Sampiruhan, Calamba City.
The three bodies discovered along a narrow road in Barangay Aya in Talisay town were identified by their friends and relatives as Deo Celada, 18, Edison Barrientos, 22, both of Barangay Sampiruhan, and Jayvee Alvarez, 21, of Barangay Bañadero, Calamba City.
The four bodies had tattoos and piercing all over their bodies, said Bañas.
Bañas said the five apparently died from the bullet wounds on their heads.
He said while the killings of the victims who were residents of Calamba could have been the handiwork of a same group of suspects, there were no indications that the murders were related to the sly try on Torribio and the killing of the other victim.
All the six bodies were discovered at almost the same time by residents Monday dawn.
“We suspect that the dumping of the bodies of the victims from Calamba and those of the two other victims were just coincidence,” he said.
Bañas said they have yet to determine the motive in the killings.
Meanwhile, relatives of the victims from Calamba City asked Batangas police to speed up its investigation.
A cousin of Castro told the Philippine Daily Inquirer that they have no idea who could be behind the murders. He said the victims have no known enemies from their neighborhood.
He said he last saw his cousin alive on Sunday night.
He said the victim told him that they would go to Tanauan to visit a friend.
“We were alarmed when we were told by some of our neighbors that my cousin and his companions failed to show up at the house of their friend. We were then told that they were already found dead in Batangas,” the victim’s cousin told the Inquirer, parent company of INQUIRER.net.